Montlake Bridge closure
This page will be updated as resources and information become available.
As of September 3, the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) recently completed the first phase of repairs to the Montlake Bridge. The first phase of construction involved a 26-day continuous closure.
The second and final phase of the project will involve five weekend closures between September and November and a series of directional closures of the northbound and southbound segments of the bridge throughout October.
These closures will allow the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) to replace the more than 20-year-old worn grid deck on the Montlake Bridge. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, an average 40,000 to 66,000 drivers used the Montlake Bridge every day. This project will keep the bridge in a state of good repair as it continues to support the needs of a growing population.
Upcoming directional closures
- Monday, Oct. 4, to the morning of Tuesday, Oct. 5: The southbound Montlake Bridge will close to vehicle traffic from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly with a signed detour to southbound I-5. The northbound side will be reduced to one open lane.
- Tuesday, Oct. 5, to the morning of Friday, Oct. 8: The northbound Montlake Bridge will close to vehicle traffic from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly with a signed detour to northbound I-5. The southbound side will be reduced to one open lane.
- Sunday, Oct. 10, to the morning of Friday, Oct. 15: The northbound Montlake Bridge will close to vehicle traffic from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly with a signed detour to northbound I-5. The southbound side will be reduced to one open lane.
What you need to know about the closures
Fall weekend closures
- Bridge will be closed for five weekends (details below)
- Closures will not coincide with Husky Football games
- Closed to vehicle traffic, including public transportation
- The sidewalk on the west side of the bridge will remain open to pedestrians and bicyclists*
- Emergency vehicles are permitted to cross after alerting flaggers
* Note: if sidewalk access is restricted, a shuttle will be available to transport pedestrians and bicyclists using a detour route.
These are the expected weekend closure dates as provided by WSDOT. Please note: closures will take place from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday. Dates are subject to change.
|Oct. 29 - Nov. 1|
During the weekend of Oct. 8-11, crews will install sewer, communications and gas lines. From 10 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8 until 5 a.m. Monday, Oct. 11, the following ramps and roads will be fully closed:
- Montlake Boulevard will be closed between Roanoke Street and Northeast Pacific Street.
- Lake Washington Boulevard will be closed between Montlake Boulevard and East Foster Island Road in the Arboretum.
- All SR 520 on- and off-ramps serving Montlake Boulevard and Lake Washington Boulevard will be closed.