The University of Washington Transportation Services (UWTS) hereby leases to the undersigned Lessee (Customer) “Bike House” for one bicycle as designated below, on the following terms and conditions.
- “BIKE HOUSE” RENTAL. Customer shall use the “Bike House” leased only for the storage of one bicycle at a time in a locked space that is shared by other bicycle users. Customer agrees to an annual lease term to access this space on a fiscal year cycle (July 1 to June 30). Payment made at other times of the year will be prorated to match the fiscal year. Current annual “Bike House” lease rates are available on the Transportation Services Website.
- “BIKE HOUSE” LEASE RENEWAL. UWTS will notify Customer of expiration before this Lease expires and provide instructions for renewal. Payment must be received at least five (5) business days prior to the expiration of this Lease. If there is no response, access to the “Bike House” will be revoked.
- OBLIGATION TO KEEP CONTACT INFORMATION UPDATED. Customer shall keep their contact information updated with the University. Faculty and staff should update their contact information via Workday or their payroll coordinator. Students should update their contact information via MyUW at http://myuw.washington.edu or the Address Change Telephone Service (206-543-8580).
- REFUNDS. If Customer wishes to terminate the Lease before the end of the annual lease term, the Customer must notify UWTS. UWTS will refund Customer on a prorated basis of the annual rental fee.
- WAIVER OF RESPONSIBILITY. It is mutually agreed that the UWTS is not and will not be held responsible for the safekeeping of Customer’s bicycle and any property contained in the “Bike House” assigned hereunder or for any damage arising out of the Customer’s use of the “Bike House” assigned. It is further agreed that Customer will make such arrangements regarding insurance coverage for the bicycle as Customer deems necessary to protect the Customer’s interests in the event of loss or damage. Customer further agrees to defend and hold UWTS harmless from damages resulting from Customer’s use of the “Bike House.”
In addition, it is mutually agreed that UWTS is not and will not be held responsible for any injuries arising out of Customer’s use of the “Bike House” assigned. It is further agreed that Customer will defend and hold UWTS harmless from injuries resulting from Customer’s use of the “Bike House.”
- COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS AND REGULATIONS. Customer agrees to comply with all laws, rules, regulations, and any special instructions that may be issued by UWTS or its agents concerning the “Bike House”. Customer will not maintain or store anything that may be dangerous to life, limb, or property or use the “Bike House” in such a way as to create a nuisance or disturbance. Customer agrees that UWTS or its agent may open and inspect Customer’s “Bike House” at any time, with or without notice to the Customer, for the purpose of observing Customer’s compliance with this agreement, or to determine whether any health or safety hazard exists.
- CONDITIONS OF USE. Customer shall not reassign or transfer this Lease or any interest therein. Customer’s use of the “Bike House” is conditional upon (1) the Customer’s having an active UW student or employee ID number, (2) the Customer having an active Husky Card, and (3) the Customer not intentionally causing loss or damage to University of Washington property or the property of other Customers with access to the same “Bike House” area.
- LONG TERM STORAGE PROHIBITED. The “Bike House” is provided to facilitate commute-related storage of bicycles and gear for bicycling. Customer agrees that their use of the “Bike House” is related to these purposes, and that any bike they choose to store in the cage will be regularly used. Racks are available on a first-come first-served basis, and reserving of racks by keeping a U-Lock secured without a bicycle present is strictly prohibited.
Per WAC 478-116-365, Bikes observed to be left for at least fourteen (14) consecutive days without moving will be tagged as potentially abandoned, and will be removed from the cage and impounded if the tag remains in place after two weeks. Bicycles will be released at specified times and upon presentation of proof of ownership and payment of a $10 fine. Bicycles unclaimed after sixty (60) consecutive days will be subject to sale at a public auction conducted by the University Surplus Property department.
In the“Bike House” facilities that provide personal storage lockers, customers are also encouraged to utilize the lockers for per-diem storage of personal belongings (e.g. a helmet) used on their commute. These lockers are not intended for storage lasting more than twelve (12) hours, and are provided on a first-come first-served basis. Reserving of lockers, such as leaving a lock on a locker when it is not being used, is strictly prohibited. If a locker is suspected of being reserved for long term use, or of being abandoned, a warning will be placed on the locker. If the warning remains in place after one week, the lock will be cut and all items will be removed and delivered to the HUB Lost and Found.
- LEASE EXPIRATION/TERMINATION. If the lease expires and Customer does not renew, or if conditions of Customer’s use of the “Bike House” (Item 7) are not met, this Lease shall automatically terminate and Customer shall forfeit use of the locked space. This Lease may also be terminated by UWTS for the breach of any of the items and conditions herein. In the event of expiration or termination of the Lease, UWTS will take possession of any contents remaining within the “Bike House.”
The remedies provided herein are in addition to, and are not in lieu of, any other rights which UWTS may have against Customer. In the event UWTS is required to bring any action or proceeding for the enforcement of the Lease or the collection of any sums which may be due and payable by Customer to UWTS, Customer agrees to pay UWTS, in addition to any balance due, UWTS’s expenses and reasonable attorney’s fees.
- ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This constitutes the entire agreement between the parties. No modification or amendments of this agreement shall be valid unless in writing and signed by both parties.
I hereby acknowledge receipt of the code for the above “Bike House.” I understand that the code remains the property of the University of Washington. I agree not to release the code information to unauthorized persons or use it in a manner other than that for which it was issued. I take full responsibility for not sharing the code during the time it is assigned to me.
I will notify UW Transportation Services immediately upon termination of my current status as an employee or student of the University of Washington or upon termination of the lease, whichever occurs first.